What Were They Thinking? 25 Crazy Laws from Around the World
One of civilized man’s greatest achievements was the rule of law. A unified list of codes for what is essentially “right” and “wrong” to do with the threat of punishment if your actions fall into the “wrong” category. Over the years, however, it seems lawmakers started shooting from the hip, resulting in some strange laws making their way into the books. Some obsolete, some unnecessary, some weird, here’s a list of 25 of the world’s craziest laws.
25 of the World’s Weirdest Laws
1. China banned the pigtail in 1911 as it was seen as a symbol of feudalism.
And first days of school.
2. In 1647 the English Parliament abolished Christmas.
Screw you Santa.
3. In the 1970’s, the Rhode Island Legislature in the US entertained a proposal that there be a $2 tax on every act of sexual intercourse in the State.
Does that mean there’s a sex tax enforcement police? Cue the saxophone and spacey electric guitar – I’m pretty sure this was the premise of a Cinemax late-night flick…
4. Catherine the First of Russia, made a rule that no man was allowed to get drunk at one of her parties before nine o’clock.
But the women were plastered by 7.
5. It is illegal to be a prostitute in Siena, Italy, if your name is Mary.
Well, at least the opposite isn’t true.
6. It is a criminal offence to drive around in a dirty car in Russia.
But you can strut around in those furry hats all day long.
7. During the reign of Elizabeth I, there was a tax put on men’s beards.
Sorry guys, you don’t get to look that cool for free.
This guy would probably get taxed twice. And a third time for style.
8. In Samoa, it is illegal to forget your wife’s birthday.
In America, we have jewelry and vacations to take care of that.
9. In California it is illegal to set a mouse trap without a hunting license.
But it’s impossible to find a good wall mount for those mouse heads.
10. In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague.
As if you don’t have it bad enough already.
11. In Pennsylvania, it’s against the law to tie a dollar bill on a string on the ground and pull it away when someone tries to pick it up.
Sorry kids, looks like you’ll have to go back to feeding the pigeons with Granpaw over there.
12. In Australia it’s illegal to roam the streets wearing black clothes, felt shoes and black shoe polish on your face as these items are the tools of a cat burglar.
No streets, you have to slink through alleys and backyards.
13. In Connecticut it is illegal to pirouette while crossing the street.
I would like to have been there when this was a big traffic problem.
14. In France, it is against the law to sell an “E.T” doll. They have a law forbidding the sale of dolls that do not have human faces.
Those french, always hating on humanoids.
15. In Athens, Greece, a driver’s license can be taken away if the driver is thought to be either “poorly dressed” or “unbathed”
To be safe, wear a tuxedo everywhere.
16. Under the UK’s Tax Avoidance Schemes Regulations 2006, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don’t want him to know, though you don’t have to tell him anything you don’t mind him knowing.
The previous tax law prohibited the use of confusing language in writing tax laws, but no one could understand the wording.
17. In Hong Kong a betrayed wife is legally allowed to kill her adulterous husband, but may only do so with her bare hands. The husband’s lover, on the other hand, may be killed in any manner desired.
Summary: don’t cheat on your wife.
18. In England it is illegal for a male to urinate in public. It is allowed only if the person aims for the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle at all the time.
You have to use the right hand for balance anyway, it’s hard enough to stand strait when you’re drunk.
I guess peeing on your car isn't as bad as this guy. I wonder what the law is for urinating with no feet on the ground?
19. It is illegal for a cab in the City of London to carry rabid dogs or corpses.
What is it with all this London taxi discrimination? They don’t let you do anything fun.
20. In New York, the penalty for jumping off a building is death.
If they really wanted stick it to the jumpers they’d make the penalty life. (PS- suicide jokes are in bad taste and really aren’t funny. PPS- unless you’re into jokes in bad taste)
21. In Lebanon men are allowed to engage in sexual intercourse with female animals. If caught with a male animal the punishment is death.
Gay animal rights would just open a whole can of worms that the Lebanese government doesn’t want to deal with.
22. Due to lack of pants, Donald Duck cartoons were banned in Finland.
Donald you free-loving dirty duck. Good work Finland.
23. In Denmark, you legally have to check under your car for sleeping children before you start it.
Call me crazy but this seems like a bigger problem. The Danish government should probably look into what’s going on in school, on TV, or what’s in the water to find out why these kids are sleeping under cars. The cat does make it seem like a nice place to hang out though.
24. In England, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.
To the independent women of the world who dream of peeing whenever and wherever you want, all you have to do is get pregnant and go to England.
25. In France, it is forbidden to call a pig Napoleon.
They’re very sensitive about their height. No need for cruel reminders.
Would you abide by these? Leave your thoughts below!